Exhibitions & EventsClasses
Classes at the DIA
Higher Thinking Skills: The Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS)
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 – Thursday, August 15, 2013 |9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Offered in Partnership with Marygrove College
Participants in this 3-day course will learn an effective model of promoting critical thinking and language skills through looking at art using the Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS). VTS is a research-based teaching method that improves critical thinking and language skills through discussions of visual images. VTS encourages participation and self-confidence, especially among students who struggle. VTS is easy to learn and offers a proven strategy for educators to meet current learning objectives.
The skills required for success in higher education and 21st-century jobs require different approaches to teaching. This program will provide educators with the teaching and learning strategies they need to increase academic achievement.
- Uses art to develop critical thinking, communication, and visual literacy skills
- Asks educators to facilitate learner-centered discussions of visual images
- Engages learners in a rigorous process of meaning-making through the examination of visual images
- Measurably increases observation skills, evidential reasoning, and meaning-making
- Engenders the willingness and ability to find multiple solutions to complex problems
- Uses facilitated discussion to enable students to practice respectful, democratic, collaborative problem solving skills that over time transfer to other classroom interactions
- Uses eager, thoughtful participation that nurtures verbal language skills and promotes the development from oral to written ability
- Produces growth in all students, from challenged and non-English language learners to high achievers
- Underscores connections to art and strengthens the role of museums as a valuable resource in the lives of students
To learn more about VTS, please visit www.vtshome.org.
Two Separate 3-Day Courses Will be Offered:
The first class will meet Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday August 1-3, 2012 . The second class will meet Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday August 8-10, 2012. Both classes meet 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the DIA's Holley Room located in the Wayne and Joan Webber Education Wing at the John R Groups and Events Entrance.
Sue Troia, Manager Docent Development, Learning and Interpretation Department
DIA Member Fee: $160 / Non-Member Fee: $190 / Student Teachers: $115
14 SCECH/CEU credits available
For more information and to register, please call 313-833-4005
Click here to register online.
Please note that registration for this workshop closes on August 6, 2013.
Add to Calendar 8/13/2013 8/15/2013 America/New_York Higher Thinking Skills: The Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) Detroit Institute of Arts DIA email@example.com false MM/DD/YYYY