A Tradition of Outstanding Corporate Support
The DaimlerChrysler Corporation and its philanthropic arm, the DaimlerChrysler
, have been longtime, generous supporters of
the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA). The company’s involvement
with the museum goes back well into the last century. K. T. Keller,
Chrysler Corporation’s former president and chairman, served
on the museum’s governing board from 1942 until his death
in 1966. A 1964 gift from the company was for the ARTmobile tractor-trailer,
a mobile art education unit that helped bring the Detroit Institute
of Arts’ programs to new areas of the community. The company
was also one of the early supporters of Under the Stars, the museum’s
annual fundraiser now in its 26th year.
DaimlerChrysler also has a long history of exhibition sponsorship,
and has given support for some of the DIA’s most successful
shows. Splendors of Ancient Egypt
, one of the largest exhibitions
ever mounted by the DIA, attracted nearly 300,000 people during
its six-month run in 1997. Other exhibitions sponsored by DaimlerChrysler
Corporation Fund include The Invisible Made Visible: Angels
from the Vatican in 1998, Van Gogh: Face to Face in 2000, Degas
and the Dance in 2002
, and On the Edge: Contemporary Art
from the DaimlerChrysler Collection
The DaimlerChrysler Corporation Fund has also given generously to
each of the museum’s major fundraising campaigns, with gifts
of $1.1 million to the Partnership for Renewal in 1991 and $5 million
to the recent “A New Day at Your DIA” campaign.
The DIA recognized DaimlerChrysler and the DaimlerChrysler Corporation
Fund in 2003 with the DIA’s Lifetime Service Award. The award
was granted to the company for its long involvement with the museum,
its sponsorship of important exhibitions, and its exceptional generosity
over many years.
to download a printable file (Microsoft® Word format).