Charles Sheeler, American, 1883–1965, Ford
Plant, River Rouge, Power House No.1, 1927; gelatin silver
print. Courtesy the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, The Lane Collection.
Here Sheeler captured the eight gleaming smokestacks of Power
House No. 1, which were a distinguishing feature of the Rouge
for many years. The building beneath these stacks housed eight
turbine generators that provided power to the complex until the
mid-1990s. The smokestacks and the Power House were demolished