Want to schedule a visit?
- Please note all school visits require eight weeks notice to schedule.
Please Note: All guided visits are full for the remainder of the 2013-2014 school year. Please feel free to apply for a self-guided visit here. You are welcome to apply for a guided visit for the 2014-2015 school year below. (We do not offer guided visits in the summer).
- Guided visits can be scheduled to begin at 9:30AM. Click here to view museum hours.
Shaping Identity – Who are we?
Explore works of art from around the world spanning thousands of years to investigate how people of diverse cultures use art to define, reinforce, and communicate cultural, national, and personal identity.
Educators may request a Shaping Identity tour with an emphasis on one area below. Ability to accommodate requested areas of emphasis may be impacted by attendance and gallery traffic on the date of your group's visit.
Shaping Identity with African American Art
Explore works of art from around the world and see how African American artists from the 19th century to our own time have created art that reflects their own perspectives on African American society and what it means to be of African descent in America.
Shaping Identity with Arts of the Americas
Explore works of art from around the world and focus on North, Central, and South America, including pre-Colombian, and Native American art from the colonial period through our own time.
Shaping Identity with Art of the Spanish Speaking World
Explore works from around the world and further examine art from diverse Spanish speaking cultures in Europe, Central, and South America, from ancient to the present.
Thinking Through Art – What’s happening in this work of art?
Engage in facilitated discussions about carefully chosen works of art that encourage observation, improve critical thinking and communication skills, and promote cooperative learning using Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS), a research-based teaching method. Thinking Through Art tours are available beginning at 10:30am Tuesday through Friday.
The Visual Thinking Strategy
- Uses art to develop critical thinking, communication and visual literacy skills
- Specially-trained volunteers will facilitate learner-centered discussions of visual art
- Engages learners in a rigorous process of examination and meaning-making through visual art
- Measurably increases observation skills, evidential reasoning, and speculative abilities
- Engenders the willingness and ability to find multiple solutions to complex problems
- Uses facilitated discussion to enable students to practice respectful, democratic, collaborative problem solving skills that over time transfer to other classroom interactions, and beyond
- Uses eager, thoughtful participation to nurture verbal language skills, and writing assignments to assist transfer from oral to written ability
- Produces growth in all students, from challenged and non-English language learners to high achievers
- Underscore connections to art and strengthens the role of museums as a valuable resource in students' lives
- To stay with the intent of VTS (Thinking Through Art) information about the art will not be shared - students who inquire, will be guided through a process of self-discovery, empowering the learner with valuable research skills
NOTE: This tour does not provide detailed information about individual works of art. For more information please visit http://vtshome.org.
Set up a DIA Visit
Please complete the form below to request a guided visit. You will generally receive a tour confirmation within 10 business days of receipt of your application. If you have questions or would like assistance with your application, please call 313.833.7981. Please let us know the best time to reach you; due to very high call volume, please be patient for a call back.
- > Please select a program type option.
- > Please enter your arrival time
- > Please enter your departure time
- > Please enter the number of chaperones attending
- > Please enter the number of students in your group
- > Please enter the grade level
- > Please enter your preferred visit date
- > Please enter your preferred visit month
- > Please enter an alternate visit date
- > Please enter your preferred visit time
- > Please enter an alternate visit time
- > Please select a lunch area.
- > Please enter your name.
- > Please enter your email address.
- > Please enter your phone number.
- > Please select your preferred method of contact.
- > Please enter your school's name.
- > Please enter your school's address.
- > Please enter your school's city.
- > Please select your school's state.
- > Please enter your school's zip / postal code.
- > Please enter your school's district.
- > Please enter your school's phone.
- > Please enter your school's county.
- > Please read and agree to the statements.
- > Please enter a matching captcha key.