Museum Visit Guidelines
- Museum Hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.; Fridays 9 a.m.–10 p.m.; Saturdays & Sundays 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Group Entrance: Please use the group entrance on John R Street. Buses may pull up in the circular drive to drop-off students. Bus parking is available on John R.
- Admission: Due to the recently passed millage, all those applying from Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties will receive free admission and transportation support. Those applying outside of the counties, and with a confirmed application, pay $4 per students and chaperone. Please note these prices do not include ticketed exhibitions.
- All school tours require six weeks notice.
- One adult chaperone is required for every ten students. Please see the chaperone guidelines below.
ATTENTION: Backpacks are not allowed into the museum galleries for all school groups. Backpacks are required to be left at the Group Entrance coat racks.
Backpacks with required medical supplies and emergency equipment must be inspected and labeled by Security staff upon entry.
- Lunch options include:
- Students can purchase lunch in CaféDIA, a self-service cafeteria.
- Groups that bring their own lunch can picnic on the grounds although tables are limited.
- The DIA Student Lunchroom is available by reservation on a first come, first served basis. (See application.) Capacity is limited to 90 per half hour time slot.
- Catered lunches are available by request; call (313) 833-1925. Please indicate lunch preference on application.
- Guided visits are conducted by DIA teaching volunteers assigned specifically to your tour. There is no additional charge for guided visits.
- You will receive an email confirming your guided visit generally within 7-10 business days of application receipt. Please review your confirmation and contact us at (313) 833-7981.
- If the information on your confirmation is incorrect
- If the number of students attending changes from your original estimate
- If you need to cancel a scheduled guided visit
- Or, if your arrival is delayed for any reason
- DIA facilities are wheelchair accessible.
- Please do not touch any works of art, walls, or pedestals on which art is displayed.
- Food, beverages, and gum are not permitted in the galleries.
- Bags, purses, and backpacks larger than 11 x 15 x 6" must be checked.
- If you need to write in the galleries, please use pencil.
- No cell phone use or texting during a guided visit.
- Sketching with pencil is allowed in the galleries.
- Photography of objects from the museum's permanent collection is allowed (except where noted.) Photography of special exhibitions and works on loan is not allowed.
- Please be on time. Call (313) 833-7981 if you are delayed.
- Please be courteous to our volunteers.
- All student groups are required to have one chaperone for every ten students.
- Be familiar with the museum's expectations and rules. You are responsible for your students; please ensure that they understand and follow the Gallery Guidelines.
- Model museum behavior for the students by paying close attention to the teaching volunteer, walking slowly, staying with the group, and watching for stragglers. Be aware that students may be uncomfortable when passing through galleries that contain nudes; please model a mature response to the art.
- Encourage all students to participate in the guided visit by asking and answering questions.
- Remember that guided visits are structured for students and that you are at the museum to help facilitate their experience. Refrain from participating in tour discussions unless invited by the tour leader.
- Monitor photography so it does not distract from the guided visit.
- Remind students not to touch works of art or any platforms or glass cases used to display art.
- All interactive labels and devices will have a "please touch" logo with an open hand.
- Be respectful of museum staff and other guided tours.
- Create a meeting place and time for the conclusion of your visit.
Friday, April 18, 2014
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
South Lawn (weather permitting – alternate location Prentis Court)
Sunday, April 27
noon - 4pm
Stay in the know
Receive ongoing updates about events, announcements, and more from the DIA.