Museum InfoMedia Room

DIA interior
DIA interior

Japan Business Society of Detroit Members pledge more than $2 Million for Detroit Institute of Arts’ Grand Bargain Commitment, Japanese Gallery at the Museum

Thursday, November 06, 2014

(Detroit)—The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) announced $2,167,000 in pledges and gifts from 21 local Japanese businesses, all members of the Japan Business Society of Detroit (JBSD). The majority of the money, 75%, will be used for the DIA’s commitment to the Grand Bargain, and the other 25% will go toward reinstalling the museum’s Japanese collection in a new gallery.

“The JBSD started in 1973 and celebrated its 40th anniversary last year,” said Hikaru Sugi, president, JBSD. “One of its most important activities has been to contribute to the local community as a U.S. corporate citizen. The DIA is a significant cultural icon in metro Detroit and in the state of Michigan, and we are pleased to be able to support their activities. We look forward to working with the DIA on the Japan Gallery, so we can continue strengthening the friendship and understanding between the U.S. and Japan.”

The gift helps the DIA get closer to its $100 million Grand Bargain commitment, currently at about $87 million. “We are grateful for the Japanese business community’s leadership in supporting the Grand Bargain, which helps not only the DIA, but the City of Detroit and its pensioners,” said Eugene A. Gargaro Jr., DIA chairman of the board. “Their generosity also brings us closer to reinstalling our wonderful collection of Japanese art, most of which has not been on view for several years.”

The DIA had planned to reinstall its Japanese art when the museum re-opened in 2007 after a total remake. Due to unexpected expenses, there were not enough funds to properly install the gallery. Currently, a selection of Japanese masterpieces is on view in an area with other Asian art. The museum continues to fundraise for the gallery and hopes to be able to begin the project next year.

Here is a list of the contributing businesses:

DENSO International America, Inc.
AISIN group
Toyoda Gosei North America Corporation
Toyota Tsusho America Inc.
Hino Motors USA group
JTEKT North America Corporation
Toyota Boshoku America, Inc.
Akebono Brake Corporation
Yazaki North America, Inc.
American Mitsuba Corporation
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America, Inc.
N.S. International, Ltd.
Panasonic Automotive Systems Company of America Tram Inc.
Automotive Systems Company of America Tram Inc.
Hirotec America, Inc.
Hitachi Metals America, Ltd.
Mitsui & Co. (U.S.A), Inc.
Sumitomo Corporation of America
Isuzu Motors Limited
Hitachi Automotive Systems Americas, Inc.
Hayashi Telempu North America Corp.
 
 
###
 
The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA), one of the premier art museums in the United States, is home to more than 60,000 works that comprise a multicultural survey of human creativity from ancient times through the 21st century. From the first Van Gogh painting to enter a U.S. museum (Self-Portrait, 1887), to Diego Rivera's world-renowned Detroit Industry murals (1932–33), the DIA’s collection is known for its quality, range and depth. The DIA’s mission is to create opportunities for all visitors to find personal meaning in art.

Programs are made possible with support from residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.

Contact:     Pamela Marcil     313-833-7899     pmarcil@dia.org