Museum InfoMedia Room

DIA interior
DIA interior

Detroit Institute of Arts Receives $1.9 Million in Grants for Museum Operations Support comes from Hudson-Webber Foundation, McGregor Fund, Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan and Matilda R. Wilson Fund

Monday, July 26, 2010


July 26, 2010 (Detroit)—The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) recently received $1,880,000 in grants from local foundations to be used for museum operations. These include:

* $1,080,000 from the Hudson-Webber Foundation ($270,000 per year over four years)
* $300,000 from the McGregor Fund
* $300,000 from the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan
* $200,000 from the Matilda R. Wilson Fund

The money will support museum operations, which includes such things as exhibitions, educational programs, community outreach and caring for the art.

“We are very grateful for the generous support shown by these outstanding Michigan foundations,” said Graham W.J. Beal, DIA director. “They have stepped up at a time when it is difficult for just about all funders to give, and the money will help us continue to provide the array of programs and the museum experience our visitors have come to expect.”

Hudson-Webber Foundation
The Hudson-Webber Foundation was established in 1943 with major contributions from Mr. and Mrs. Richard H. Webber, other members of the Webber family, and The J. L. Hudson Company. The Foundation currently has assets of approximately $150 million and concentrates its efforts and resources in the City of Detroit with a focus on greater downtown Detroit. The mission areas of the Foundation include support of physical revitalization, economic development, arts and safety.

As part of the broader mission, a focus of current foundation work and giving includes 15x15 – a shared vision to not only attract 15,000 young, talented households to greater downtown Detroit by 2015, but to also articulate to the area and the region the positive impact that influx would have. To learn more about Hudson-Webber and 15x15 visit www.hudson-webber.org.

Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan is a permanent community endowment, built by gifts from thousands of individuals and organizations committed to the future of southeast Michigan. The Foundation works to improve the region’s quality of life by connecting those who care with causes that matter. The Foundation supports a wide variety of causes benefitting education, arts and culture, health, human services, community development, and civic affairs. Since its inception, the Foundation has distributed more than $435 million through more than 37,500 grants to nonprofit organizations throughout Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Monroe, Washtenaw, St. Clair, and Livingston counties. For more information, please visit www.cfsem.org.  

McGregor Fund
The McGregor Fund is a private foundation established in 1925 by gifts from Katharine and Tracy McGregor “to relieve the misfortunes and promote the well-being of mankind.” The foundation awards grants to organizations in the following areas: human services, education, health care, arts and culture, and public benefit. The area of principle interest to the foundation is the City of Detroit and Macomb, Oakland, and Wayne counties. The McGregor Fund has grant over $190 million since its founding and has assets of $141 million as of June 30, 2009. Visit www.mcgregorfund.org for additional information.

Matilda R. Wilson Fund
The Matilda R. Wilson Fund was created in 1944 by Matilda R. Wilson, a noted philanthropist. The Fund continues to provide important support for a number of organizations she supported during her lifetime, many located primarily in southeast Michigan, as well as other charities.

###

 Contact: Pamela Marcil 313-833-7899 pmarcil@dia.org