Art at the DIASearch the Collection
Rollover image to zoom
Photo ©2017, Detroit Institute of Arts
CHRIST AT THE COLUMN
Franz Ignaz Gunther(German, 1725-1775)
- Lindenwood with polychrome decoration
- 29 1/4 x 17 1/4 x 7 1/2 in. 74.5 x 44.0 x 19.1 cm Base: 1 1/4 x 12 x 8 in. 3.2 x 30.5 x 20.3 cm
- European Sculpture and Dec Arts
- Founders Society Purchase, Acquisitions Fund
- Accession No.
- A niche, either for the Benedictine Abbey Church of Saint Michael at Attel on the Inn, or for one of the nearby Bavarian parish churches of Babensham/Obb, or of Braunau am Inn; Bavarian private collection, 1952-1982; Margret Biedermann (dealer), Munich, 1982; Eugene V. Thaw (dealer), New York, 1982-1983.
- carved, lindenwood, paint, polychromed, statue, religion, wood, christian
Search Art at the DIA
See favorite works from DIA staff members.
Support the DIA
Your membership and donations are critical to the museum’s success.
Stay in the know
Receive ongoing updates about events, announcements, and more from the DIA.