Art at the DIASearch the Collection
Rollover image to zoom
Photo ©2014, Detroit Institute of Arts
MARTHA AND MARY MAGDALENE
Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio(Italian, 1571 - 1610)
- c. 1598
- Oil and tempera on canvas
- Framed: 51 x 64 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. (129.5 x 164.5 x 9.5 cm) 100 x 134.5 cm
- European Painting
- Gift of the Kresge Foundation and Mrs. Edsel B. Ford
- Accession No.
- Arezzo, Collection Panzani Family; Legally exported through the dogana in Milan in 1897; Collection Indalecio GÃ³mez, Argentine Ambassador to Berlin (acquired in Paris between 1904-1909); Salta Province and subsequently Buenos Aires, Argentina, by descent, Collection Carlos GÃ³mez de Alzaga, grandson of Indalecio (1973); London, auction, Ambassador Carlos GÃ³mez de Alzaga [Christie's] 25 June 1971, lot 21 (bought in); Sold by owner, C. GÃ³mez de Alzaga, to the DIA in 1973 (through David Carritt).
- canvas, oil, paint, paint, religion, tempera, christian
Search Art at the DIA
See favorite works from DIA staff members.
Support the DIA
Your membership and donations are critical to the museum’s success.
Stay in the know
Receive ongoing updates about events, announcements, and more from the DIA.