Art at the DIASearch the Collection
Rollover image to zoom
Photo ©2016, Detroit Institute of Arts
- Carved and patinated wood, shell
- 19 7/8 x 5 1/4 x 5 1/2 in. ( 50.5 x 13.3 x 14 cm)
- Africa, Oceania & Indigenous Americas
- Founders Society Purchase, with funds from L & R Entwistle and Co., Ralph Harman Booth Bequest Fund, Abraham Borman Family Fund, Joseph H. Boyer Memorial Fund, Joseph M. de Grimme Memorial Fund, General Endowment Fund, New Endowment Fund, Benson and Edith Ford Fund, K. T. Keller Fund, Laura H. Murphy Fund, Mary Martin Semmes Fund, Barbara L. Scripps Fund, Edna Burian Skelton Fund, Mr. and Mrs. Conrad H. Smith Memorial Fund, Henry E. and Consuelo S. Wenger Foundation Fund, and Matilda R. Wilson Fund.
- Accession No.
- Formerly in the collection of: Leo Frobenius (1905/06 Congo expedition); Museum fur Volkerkunde, Hamburg; Charles Ratton, Paris; Helena Rubinstein (Princess Gourielli), Paris & New York; Comte Jean-Jacques de Launoit, Brussels
- carved, patina, patinated, shell, statue, vessel, wood
Search Art at the DIA
See favorite works from DIA staff members.
Support the DIA
Your membership and donations are critical to the museum’s success.
Stay in the know
Receive ongoing updates about events, announcements, and more from the DIA.