Art at the DIASearch the Collection
Rollover image to zoom
Photo ©2016, Detroit Institute of Arts
Fra Angelico(Italian, c. 1395/1400-1455)
- Gold leaf and tempera on wood panel
- 13 x 10 5/8 in. (33.0 x 27.0 cm) Framed: 19 3/8 x 17 1/4 x 2 in. ( 49.2 x 43.8 x 5.1 cm)
- European Painting
- Bequest of Eleanor Clay Ford
- Accession No.
- (?) Fiesoli, Convent of San Domenico; (?) Possibly collection Cardinal Desiderio Scaglia (1621); Paris, collection Baron Dominique-Vivant Denon; Paris, auction Baron Vivant Denon, 1 May 1826, lot 41; Great Britain, Fonthill Abbey, Collection William Beckford; By inheritance, daughter of Beckford; Glasgow, Hamilton Palace, collection Duke of Hamilton (entered collection through marriage to Beckford's daughter); Glasgow, Hamilton Palace, collection Duke of Hamilton; London, auction, 12th Duke of Hamilton (Christie's) 24 June 1882, lot 356; acquired by Winckworth [collector?, dealer?], 1882; London, collection John Edward Taylor; London, auction (Christie's) 5 July 1912, lot 11; Paris, Galerie Sedelmeyer (until after 1913); New York, collection Carl W. Hamilton; Detroit, Grosse Pointe Farms, collection Mr. and Mrs. Edsel Ford (1925); bequeathed by Eleanor Clay Ford to the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1977).
- metal, paint, panel, gold, gold leaf, religion, tempera, wood, half length
Search Art at the DIA
See favorite works from DIA staff members.
Support the DIA
Your membership and donations are critical to the museum’s success.
Stay in the know
Receive ongoing updates about events, announcements, and more from the DIA.