Intern, Public Affairs
Part-time, Non-Exempt, Temporary (employment agreement through May 1, 2018)
$12.50 per hour
The Public Affairs Intern will gain practical work experience and receive an introduction to the museum and non-profit world by working for the Executive Director, Public Affairs, who is responsible for managing the Detroit Institute of Arts’ regional and community relationships. Assists with office administration tasks. Performs related work as required.
- Assists in building a list of existing resource database for several areas including:
- State and County Officials
- Mayors and City Leaders
- Township Leaders and Trustees
- Superintendent, Curriculum Directors, Intermediate School Districts and School Board Members
- University and College Presidents, Provosts and Board of Trustees
- Library Directors
- Senior Organizations
- Business Organizations
- Provides analytical assistance in the Community Engagement spreadsheet
- Researches on public meeting notices and cultural events throughout the region
- Provides newsletter support and potentially attending events in the community
- Provides general office assistance with scheduling, follow-up and preparation for meetings upon the request the Executive Director, Public Affairs
- Interest in writing, public affairs, communications, journalism, public relations, advertising or related field preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Experience with SharePoint
- Experience with mapping tools preferred
- Proficient in internet research
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, organizational skills and outstanding speaking and writing ability.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to conduct oneself with tact and courtesy.
- Flexibility with hours – available for day and occasional evening meetings (will accommodate student schedule). ______________________________________________________________________
If you are interested in applying for this position, please do so online by close of business day, October 10, 2017.
THE DETROIT INSTITUTE OF ARTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER