Back in November, the DIA hosted Peter Reynolds, the New York Times best-selling children's book author of The Dot, Ish, The Word Collector, and more, for an author talk with over 1,000 tri-county students, plus a free conference on creativity and learning for over 100 teachers.
- Daily reads and art lessons by Peter H. Reynolds: 12 p.m. EDT, Monday-Friday on Facebook and 2 p.m. on Instagram
- Wonderful activity guides for Peter and Paul Reynolds' books
- Animated stories to watch and share
- Words of encouragement with two new posters one can download and print
- A gift of FableVision Learning® Creativity Tools for classroom educators. Schools and classrooms can get free access through the end of the academic school year (June 30, 2020). Account registration is open until April 15, 2020. Creativity tools include:
- Animation-Ish, an easy-to-use, web-based animation program for kids to use
- Get Published™, a creative writing academy and publishing studio
- Fab at School MakerStudio™ (digital design and fabrication software)
The Peter Reynolds program was made possible by the DIA Women’s Committee and the support of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne county voters.
Additional New Tools for Educators
Until school field trips can visit the museum in person, the DIA education team is sharing lesson plans to use at home based on popular gallery activities and using links to specific works of art. Students are asked to first examine artworks visually by asking “what’s going on in this picture?” and then follow up using prompts for writing and discussion. See this plan here >
Additional resources are available on our learning resources page >