June 18, 2019 (Detroit) — The Detroit Institute of Arts is bringing nine art reproductions to Clawson as part of Inside|Out, an innovative program that delivers and installs high-quality reproductions from the DIA’s collection to outdoor venues in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.
“Inside|Out is inspiring and brings art, culture and history to our backyard,” said Penny Luebs, County Commissioner. “We are excited that famous pieces of art, like The Nut Gatherers, will be incorporated into our everyday lives and routines.”
The DIA will host a ribbon cutting celebration at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, June 20 at the Clawson’s Maker’s Market. Directly following the ribbon cutting, DIA Director Salvador Salort-Pons will lead an art walk highlighting the Inside|Out pieces featured in Clawson.
Throughout Clawson, the DIA will feature high-quality reproductions of:
- Fourteenth Street at Sixth Avenue, created by John Sloan in 1934
- Irises and Calla Lilies, created Maria Oakey Dewing between 1890 and 1905
- Konigsee, created by Willibald Wex in 1873
- Movement #27, created by Kwesi Owusu-Ankomah in 2002
- Reeds and Cranes, created by Suzuki Kiitsu in the 19th century
- Savoy Ballroom, created by Reginald Marsh in 1931
- The Merrymakers, created by Carlus-Duran in 1870
- The Nut Gatherers, created by William Adolphe Bouguereau in 1882
- The Window, created by Henri Matisse in 1916
“Inside|Out helps us engage and inspire the communities around us. We are excited to bring our world-renowned collection of art beyond the museum walls and directly into Clawson,” said Salvador Salort-Pons, DIA director. “The DIA is dedicated to providing people with unique and diverse art experiences they can’t access through books, TV or the internet, and making Southeast Michigan a great place to live.”
The DIA’s Inside|Out art installations are featured across Clawson and placed within walking or bike-riding distance from each other. Locations include the Clawson Makers Market, Salt & Sugar Co., Twyfit, Triple Thread, Old Port, Black Lotus Brewery, Clawson City Hall, Blair Memorial Library and Clawson City Park.
All Inside|Out art installations are listed at dia.org/insideout.
As a part of the tri-county millage passed in 2012, the DIA offers free museum admission to any resident living in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties. The millage also supports free programs such as Inside|Out, “Thursdays at the Museum” and DIA Away.