This art exhibition stand in Renaissance Revival style was probably commissioned for an art gallery in one of several great mansions built in the United States during the Victorian period. Among the extraordinary features are the four standing winged lions supporting the outer corners. At each stand end are a carved artist’s palette, brushes, and implements that symbolize the functional role of the piece.
Artist Gustave Herter, American, 1830-1898
Title
  • Art Exhibition Stand
Date between 1860 and 1864
Medium Walnut
Dimensions Overall: 47 × 45 × 30 1/2 inches (119.4 × 114.3 × 77.5 cm)
Credit Line Founders Society Purchase, Gibbs-Williams Fund
Accession Number 1989.4
Department American Art before 1950
On View American W290, Level 2 (see map)
Signed below the apron on the back of the piece: G. Herter
below the apron on the front of the piece: G. Herter | New York
Inscriptions below the apron on the back of the piece: G. Herter
below the apron on the front of the piece: G. Herter | New York
Peter Hill;
DIA, Founders Society Purchase, Gibbs-William Fund, 1989.
Bulletin of the DIA 65, nos 2/3 (1989): 69, fig. 39, (ill.).

"Selected recent acquisitions." Bulletin of the DIA 66, no 4 (1991): 47, (ill.).

"American Decorative Arts Acquisitions 1985-2005." Bulletin of the DIA 81, no. 1-2 (2007): 56.