This finely chased bronze, based on Renaissance sculptures by Michelangelo and Jacopo Sansovino, bears an impressive provenance. First recorded in the d'Este collection in Mantua, the statuette entered the French royal collection around 1700, when Louis XIV acquired it from the estate of André Le Nôtre, the landscape architect for the gardens at Versailles. A nephew of Antonio Susini, Gianfrancesco took over the Florentine sculpture workshop in 1624.
Artist attributed to Giovanni Franceso Susini, Italian, 17th century
Title
  • Bacchus and a Young Satyr
Date ca. 1640
Medium bronze
Dimensions Overall: 19 3/4 × 9 × 8 inches (50.2 × 22.9 × 20.3 cm)
Overall (base): 2 1/2 × 8 1/8 × 6 1/8 inches (6.4 × 20.6 × 15.6 cm)
Credit Line Founders Society Purchase, New Endowment Fund
Accession Number 82.27
Department European Sculpture and Dec Arts
On View European: Grand Tour of Italy-Florence, Level 2 (see map)
Marks Marks, on back of Bacchus' left calf: No. 188 [Royal inventory mark from the collection of Louis XIV, King of France]
possibly, D'Este (Mantua, Italy);
Andre Le Notre (France);
by 1707, Louis XIV;
Louis XV;
until 1796, Louis XVI;
Citizen Jourdan (verrier à Muntzhal);
March 4, 1803, Jourdan sale;
M. Cailard of Cailar;
May 2, 1809, Cailard sale;
Unknown collections;
early 20th century, M. Robert Piquet;
1932, Jansen, Maison de decoration;
Christian Berard;
Jean Michel Frank;
art market (Paris, France);
(Alain Moatti, Paris, France);
1982-present, purchase by the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA)
Guiffrey, Jules. "Testament et inventaire apres deces de Andre Le Notre et autres documents le concernant." Bulletin de la Société de l'Histoire de l'art français. 1911, p. 254.

Landais, H. "Sur quelques statuettes leguees par Le Notre a Louis XIV." Bulletin des musées de France 3 (1949): pp. 60-63.

Landais, H. Les bronzes italiens de la Renaissance. Paris, 1958, pp. 88-89.

Weihrauch, H.R. Europaische Bronzestatuetten. Braunchweig, 1967, p. 177, no. 344 (ill.).

Darr, A.P. "Florentine Baroque Bronzes by Susini, Soldani, and Foggini." Bulletin of the DIA 61, nos. 1-2 (Summer 1983), pp. 4-17, fig. 1 (ill.).

Bulletin of the DIA 61, no. 3 (1982/83): p. 5 (ill.).

Darr, A.P. "A Valentiner Legacy: Italian Sculpture in Detroit." Apollo 124, no. 298, pp. 482-485.

Darr, A.P. "European sculpture and decorative arts acquired by the Detroit Institute of Arts 1978-87." The Burlington Magazine 130 (June 1988): p. 496, fig. 102 (ill.).

Masterpieces from the Detroit Institute of Arts. Exh. cat., Bunkamura Museum of Art. Tokyo, 1989, cat. no. 14 (ill.).

Darr, A.P., P. Barnet, A. Bostrom, with contributions by C. Avery, et al. Catalogue of Italian Sculpture in the Detroit Institute of Arts. London, 2002, 2 vols., II, cat. 135.