Artist English
Title
  • Panelled Room
Date c. 1584
Medium Oak panelling, with plaster overmantel
Dimensions Length: 22' 4"; width: 19' 2"; height: 10' 6"
Credit Line Gift of the William Randolph Hearst Foundation and the Hearst Foundation, Inc.
Accession Number 58.242
Department European Sculpture and Dec Arts
Not On View
This room originally formed part of the second floor plan of a large townhouse, 229 High Street, Exeter, which was extensively remodelled by George Smythe, a tenant, in 1584;
the townhouse was owned by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter Cathedral until 1803, when it was sold to a private owner;
the house was destroyed in 1930;
this room and another from the house were acquired by French & Company (dealer), New York, NY;
William Randolph Hearst,1934-1951;
William Randolph Hearst Foundation,