Artist German
Title
  • Wheellock Gun
Date ca. 1610
Medium Steel, wood, staghorn, silver, pigment
Dimensions Overall: 8 1/4 × 49 7/16 × 3 1/8 inches (21 × 125.6 × 7.9 cm)
Overall (barrel): 37 13/16 inches (96 cm)
Overall (ramrod): 38 3/16 inches (97 cm)
Overall (caliber): 11/16 inches (1.7 cm)
Credit Line Gift of the William Randolph Hearst Foundation
Accession Number 53.221
Department European Sculpture and Dec Arts
On View Great Hall W200, Level 2 (see map)
ca. 16th century, probably made for Ferdinand de Medici [1549-1609], son of Cosimo, Grand Duke of Tuscany and Elenora of Toledo, who renounced his cardinate to succeed his brother Francis and Grand Duke of Tuscany in 1587.
William Randolph Hearst;
by 1951, William Randolph Hearst Foundation;
1953-present, gift to the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA)
Robinson, Francis W. "A Gift of Arms and Armor from the Collection of William Randolph Hearst." Bulletin of the DIA 33, no. 1 (1953-1954): pp. 1-5.

The Art of the Armorer. Exh. cat., Flint Institute of Arts. Flint, 1967, cat. on. 69 (ill.).

Selected Renaissance Works of Art from the Permanent Collection. Exh. cat., Detroit Institute of Arts. Detroit, 1982, p. 7.

Boccia, L. "Arms and Armor from the Medici Court." Bulletin of the DIA 61, nos. 1-2 (Summer 1983): pp. 58-64, figs. 3, 7-8 (ill.).