DIA Mission: Creating experiences that help each visitor find personal meaning in art
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- 5200 Woodward Avenue
- Detroit, Michigan 48202
- Main Line: 313.833.7900
- TDD: 313.833.1454
- 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Ensure smooth travels – get road construction updates from the Michigan Department of Transportation.
Museum Parking Lot: Secured self-parking located on John R directly behind the museum daily for $7.00 (Electric vehicle charging stations available).
WSU Self-Parking Locations:
Rackham (Structure #3) (Warren/John R): Mon-Fri | 7:00am-10:00pm | Cost: $6.00
Structure #6 (Putman St./Woodward): Mon-Fri | 7:00am-Midnight | Cost: $2-$10.00
Welcome Center: Sat | 7:00am-11:00pm | Cost: $6.50
Structure #8 (Forest St./Woodward): 7 days | 24 hours | Cost: $1-$10.00
WSU Visitor Lot #59 (Warren/John R): 7 days | 7:00am-Midnight | Cost: $6.00
WSU Lot #35 (John R/Palmer): 7 days | 7:00am-Midnight | Cost: $6.00
For additional WSU parking information please visit http://maps.wayne.edu
Valet parking is available at the Woodward entrance Friday through Sunday during museum hours.
Street parking is available around the museum.
ADA parking is available in the museum parking lot, on Farnsworth and Kirby Streets.
SPECIAL NOTICE: Self-parking is NO LONGER available at the City of Detroit Farnsworth Underground Parking Garage on the corner of Woodward and Farnsworth.
- Youth (6 – 17)
- Children 5 and under
- College Students (with valid school photo ID)
- Residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.*
* Residents of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties receive free unlimited general museum admission in accordance with the passage of the County Art Institute Authority millage.
For groups of 15 or more visitors, please contact 313.833.1292. Group general admission for the permanent collection is $7 per person. Advance reservations are required.
The DIA will offer FREE general museum admission to active military personnel and their families from May 30 to September 5 as part of the Blue Star Museums program. Click here for more information.
IKEA Canton Family Members may receive a 50 percent discount on general admission to the DIA, member pricing for Detroit Film Theatre tickets, or a 20 percent discount on first-time DIA memberships. This discount will be provided by showing an IKEA Family card at the DIA membership desk or at the Detroit Film Theatre ticket window. This offer is valid until August 19, 2014.
Tickets may be purchased in advance for exhibitions, programming and events through the DIA Call Center. Call 313.833.4005. For information on group tours, call 313.833.1292.
- Monday through Sunday
- 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Detroit Film Theatre Box Office
DFT tickets may be purchased before the film at the Box Office, located at the DFT entrance on John R. For information, call 313.833.3237.
Plan Your Visit
The DIA belongs to all of us, and to ensure that everyone enjoys his or her visit, please observe the following guidelines:
- Please check coats, backpacks, tote bags, briefcases, umbrellas and portfolios at the attended coatroom at the Farnsworth entrance. This is a complimentary service. In addition, please be aware that all bags must be inspected upon entrance to the museum. We appreciate your cooperation, and apologize for any inconvenience.
- To protect the art, food, drink, gum and candy are not allowed in the galleries. Food and beverages may be purchased and enjoyed in CaféDIA and the Kresge Court Coffee Stop, which have plenty to please all art-lovers' palates!
- The DIA is a non-smoking building.
- Because a small amount of oil and dirt can cause damage, visitors are asked not to touch the artwork. Younger guests can learn more about this policy by visiting Artie the Donkey.
- In most cases, sketching is permitted in all galleries of the DIA. Sketching permits can be obtained from the welcome desks at the Farnsworth entrance. Sketching is generally not permitted in special exhibitions.
- Visitors may take photographs or film permanent collection only for personal, non-distributional or noncommercial use, and under the conditions listed in our
Daily Guided Tours – Get to know your new DIA. Meet in Farnsworth Lobby for free guided tours Tuesday - Fridays at 1 p.m. and Saturday & Sundays at 1 and 3 p.m.
Audio / Multimedia Tours – Director's Choice and Youth Audio Tours are available for $3 at the Farnsworth entrance. Tours are available in Spanish and Japanese.
The Rivera Court Multimedia Tour is available for free at the information desk in Rivera Court. The tour is available in Spanish.
Facilities are accessible via the Farnsworth entrance; for information, call 313.833.7940.
Open your child's eyes to the fascinating world of art with audio tours and guides designed especially for families. Visit the Farnsworth entrance to pick up family guides and access audio tours.
Drop-in art workshops, drawing in the galleries, storytelling, live music and family performances also provide engaging experiences for families. The DIA is open until 10 p.m. on Fridays with kid-friendly food, music and, of course, great art. Sundays are dedicated to families with activities from puppet shows and theater to live music and storytellers.
Staying in town? The Detroit Institute of Arts proudly represents local hotels through exclusive partnership. Browse our available hotel packages.