Stölzl began her studies at the Bauhaus in 1919, participating in the development of the weaving department as an instruction workshop. From 1926 to 1931 she was a teacher in the textile workshop of the Bauhaus, which cooperated with industry by utilizing synthetic materials that had not previously been used for textiles. The workshop experimented with the possibilities of technical improvements in textiles in respect to the wear and tear quality of the material.
Artist Gunta Stolzl, German, 1897-1983
Title
  • Wall Hanging
Date between 1926 and 1927
Medium Woven silk with cotton and synthetic threads
Dimensions Overall: 74 × 38 3/4 inches (188 × 98.4 cm)
Credit Line Founders Society Purchase, Octavia W. Bates Fund and Matilda R. Wilson Fund
Accession Number 1987.38
Department European Modern Art to 1950
Not On View
(Barry Friedman Ltd., New York, New York, USA);
1987-present, purchase by the Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, Michigan, USA)
GUNTA STOLZL: MEISTERIN AM BAUHAUS DESSAU. Berlin: Bauhaus Dessau, Gerd Hatje, 1997, cat. no. 139, col. ill. p. 147.