Bringing together friends, fans and collectors of art on paper
Founded in 1966 as The Drawing and Print Club, this auxiliary remains strong with a membership of over 200 individuals. Its first name change to The Graphic Arts Council was adopted in 1988 to reflect and to embrace the collection of photography, and then the Forum for Prints, Drawings & Photographs in 2007. In 2015, the name became the Friends of Prints, Drawings & Photographs, which truly clarified its interests.
To belong to this group requires nothing more than to care for works on paper on any level. Since its inception, the FPDP has supported the commissioning of prints and photographs which are offered for sale exclusively to the membership. Over the last decade, Summer Soirées has become a much anticipated, enjoyable staple which generates great camaraderie and significant funds for major acquisitions of prints, drawings, or photographs for the DIA. Encouraging and stimulating collecting among its members is as important to the PDP mission as building Detroit’s collection.
An annually elected Board of Directors drawn from the ranks of the membership administers all the Forum’s programs. We wish to remain a vibrant, creative, and vital part of the art community but we can’t do it without you. Please consider joining today.
Support the activities of the Department of Prints, Drawings, and Photographs, and growth of the DIA’s collection of prints, drawings, and photographs by attending events and programs including:
- Openings for all graphic arts and selected DIA exhibitions;
- Lectures, tours, and behind-the-scenes opportunities;
- Visits to commercial galleries and artists’ studios;
- Taking an annual trip to an interesting arts destination;
- Purchasing commissioned works and
- Participating in Summer Soirées.
In order to be eligible for membership in the Friends of Prints, Drawings & Photographs, you must be a member of the Detroit Institute of Arts. For program inforamtion, call us (313) 833-9830.
* Membership levels at $100 and higher receive preference for trip enrollment and commission purchases. Contributing members receive a commissioned poster designed by Robert Rauschenberg in 1980 for the opening of the Schwartz Galleries of Prints and Drawings. Supporting members receive an invitation to a special curatorial brunch and private showing in the graphic arts study room. Benefactors receive a complementary invitation for two to one of the year’s dinner events. Major Benefactors receive the commissioned photograph 1939 Packard V-12 Coupe by Robert Traniello.
Board of Directors: Executive Committee
-J. Patrick Stillwagon: President
-Christine Giampetroni: Vice President
-Richard Broder: Treasurer
-Pam McShane: Secretary
-Diane Goldstein: Membership Chair
Board of Directors: Officers
-Melissa Orley Lax
Honorary Officers, Advisors and Special Committee Chairs
-Mindy Aronovitz: Travel Chair
-Bill Rauhauser: Artist Advisor
-Julie Rothstein: 2016 Summer Soirees Chair
-Nancy Barr: Curator and Dept. Head
-Rosemarie Gleeson: Major Gifts Officer
-Elisia Wheeler: Administrative Asst., Curatorial
-Douglas Bulka: Paper Care Specialist
-Peter Bernal: Assistant Preparator